POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disable splash window : Re: Disable splash window Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:10:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disable splash window
From: sascha
Date: 29 Sep 2005 04:11:37
Message: <433ba1b9$1@news.povray.org>
> When you have a set of scenes
>
> scene_a.pov
> scene_b.pov
> scene_x.pov
 >
 > and you want to render them all you can *always* do so, no matter how
 > large meshes or whatever are generated in those scenes,

Sure, but the per-frame scene files can become really large (several
100MB!) - POV-Ray has no built-in support for subdivision surfaces, and
macros are quite slow, so the only way I see is to generate per-frame
triangle meshes "on the fly" and delete them after the frame has been
rendered. Perhaps I didn't make that clear in my previous message, but
the limitation here is disk space, so the size of the meshes does matter
(imagine 2000 frames with 100MB mesh data per frame - that's 200GB!).

I know that most people use POV-Ray with hand-written SDL code (and use
its built-in animation features), but still there are cases where you
want to start rendering on a per-frame basis from an external tool (like
you do with every other renderer I know) and that's when the splash
screen becomes rather annoying.

I also think that the average Windows user does not know how to compile
POV-Ray, let alone writing a GUI extension.