POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disable splash window : Re: Disable splash window Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:10:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disable splash window
From: Ross
Date: 28 Sep 2005 18:23:05
Message: <433b17c9$1@news.povray.org>
news:dheor6$4cg$1@chho.imagico.de...
> Gilles Tran wrote:
> >
> > I read you well, but your immediate answer assumes that there is
something
> > inherently evil in not wanting to display the splash screen of the
current,
> > official Windows version and I still fail to see what's illegal and
> > unethical there.
>
> No.  Maybe that wasn't completely clear from my first reply but there is
> nothing wrong in wanting to run a render with POV-Ray without a splash
> screen being displayed and i clearly said that:
>
 > If you don't like this (and i can think of good reasons for this) don't
use the GUI version.

Honestly, it wasn't clear at all. Your first statement clearly said to me
that the only reason one would want to disable the splash screen is grounded
in immoral behavior. If that's not what you intented, perhaps you should
examine your posts a bit more before sending them. I've reread it in it's
entirety several times, and I see no other interpretation.

Your second statement about building a version without graphical output was
then a bit odd. The two statements together read something like, "It's
immoral to run POV without splash screen, but here are ways to do something
similar."

> I find it inconsequent to want to use the GUI version of POV-Ray (which
> is designed for interactive use) but to not accept that when the program
> is started it displays a splash screen.

I agree sort of. However, is the only reason for displaying the splash
screen to thwart immoral behavior? If so, why put something in front of 99%
of your users* (the morally inclined users) that is intended to stop only 1%
of your users (the immoral users). The moral people don't need to be
reminded, and the immoral will find a way around it anyway.

*these statistics are completely made up. I assume only the rare user tries
to pass POV along as their own creation.