POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disable splash window : Re: Disable splash window Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disable splash window
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Sep 2005 13:57:12
Message: <433ad978$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> (which is not an animation render)

Well, that's a rather limited understanding of the word "animation". I
can see where it might have been confusing to call "putting together a
bunch of independent frames to make a video depicting motion" an
animation, when POV-Ray uses the term for something having to do with
the clock variable.

 > and for each newly load the whole
> WinPOV GUI the time required for the splash screen will be your least
> significant problem.

Um... While indeed it's rather a minor problem compared so some of the
others I encountered, we weren't discussing the other problems. I was
simply pointing out that no, it's not the case that disabling the splash
screen is always something someone would want to do only because they
wish to steal the program in some sense. To accuse someone asking the
question of having nefarious motives without even asking first what the
motives are can be rather insulting.

> BTW how did you measure the time for the splash screen separately?  This
> would require to build a version without the splash screen and compare.
>  Did you do that?

No. I sat at the terminal and watched it take 20 seconds to draw the
splash screen, compared to when I'm sitting at the same machine locally.
I started up the batch file, and with the +C it did the first handful of
already-finished frames in 2 minutes instead of 15 seconds.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
    "Rabbit beer, now with organic hops!"