POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How find the volume of an object? : Re: How find the volume of an object? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How find the volume of an object?
From: Chris Kinata
Date: 27 Sep 2005 18:17:13
Message: <4339c4e9$1@news.povray.org>
"Slime" wrote
> Out of curiosity, why?

In this specific instance, my sailboat was destroyed a couple
of months ago, and I've salvaged its lead-filled keel. Getting
it weighed (~1500lbs) has proved problematic, but I've taken
measurements, can model its shape, and wanted to estimate
its weight using the density of lead.

A longer-term "why" is that I'm interested in modeling objects
and then create them physically. Rather than develop mathematical
models independently of POV-Ray (say in Excel), wanted a
general approach for estimating volume of complex shapes.

For example, I want to design a series of cascading bowl-shapes
for a water feature in a garden, define shapes, sizes, thicknesses,
etc., and then cast them in concrete. It would be cool to get
a readout of volume of concrete needed and the resulting cast
weight.

--Chris