POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : No IRTC site activity - Cause for concern? : Re: No IRTC site activity - Cause for concern? Server Time
3 May 2024 23:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No IRTC site activity - Cause for concern?
From: St
Date: 22 Sep 2005 14:20:47
Message: <4332f5ff@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote in message news:433272c7$1@news.povray.org...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for taking so long to reply.
>>
>> Thanks for the offer(s) of help.
>>
>> Strange as it may seem, I don't think we really need help.  Help
>> implies that someone has to manage the helpers and none of us is up
>> to that.  We have a set of things we each do.  These things are not
>> that hard for us, but they are a little technical and specialized.
>> Setting it up so someone else could do a part of it would be more
>> work than it's worth.
>>

>> Personally, I've decided to step down as an IRTC admin.  I'm hoping to
>> train a replacement soon.  I suspect this can be done fairly easily
>> without any apparent disruptions.
>>
>> -bill

>>   So, it seems things are getting sorted out. It seems a bit more
>> complicated than I first thought,
>
> It does seem strange that he doesn't think they need help.  It's not very
> good that the competition does not get announced for one or two weeks
> after
> it starts when it is only 8 weeks long!

 This is why I asked some time ago if it could be extended to three
months...

 Especially as it would be easy to
> make it get announced automatically.  If getting and organising the help
> is
> more work than it's worth, then perhaps it's for the best that a new
> person
> is taking over.

   Well, Bill has done a good job over the years, (voluntarily), and like
all things computer-wise, it's probably boring in the end...

    (The man hasn't had time for Poving himself).

> But yep, let's wait and see about the replacement.  Hopefully they will
> have
> more time to improve the site or be willing to allow others to help.  I
> guess if it comes to it we can always make a new website aimed
> specifically
> at the POV community.

    Now that's a good idea - at least us Povers would get their images
included. If you haven't noticed this round, I didn't get my three images
included, and a few others didn't too because of some glitch. I really
wanted to vote and comment on this round, but now I can't do that.

>> but I was looking more at
>> processing some images rather than anything computer heavy.
>
> OOC, what sort of human processing needs to be done?  I thought they had
> an
> automatic script that just checked everything in the submission was valid,
> then emailed you if it wasn't.

    I don't know. I haven't a clue. I guess there's some batch processing
going on somewhere, (the thumbnail images?), but if it came to scripts and
stuff, well, I could handle that as long as I was shown how to do it.

   Let's just see what happens...

    ~Steve~