POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoVEarth Project : Re: PoVEarth Project Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoVEarth Project
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Sep 2005 03:49:19
Message: <432bca7f@news.povray.org>
"Yadgar" <yaz### [at] gmxde> schreef in bericht
news:432### [at] gmxde...

> You really should... their resolution is 5 times higher than that of
> GTOPO30! As they are only in GeoTIFF available, you'll need a conversion
> software such as 3DEM ( http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html )
> to transform them into ASCII matrizes, which can be read in from PoV-Ray!

Yes I am sure, and I will.

> Did you research back then? Or did the 'Polarstern' occasionally pick up
>   (well-paying) tourists when going to Antarctica?

No, I was a researcher on board. Although the true story was a little bit
more complicated than that, as there was also a political reason for me and
my colleague to be on board: the (active) participation of the Netherlands
in the Antarctic Treaty. So, it turned out that we mainly helped others with
their research, taking the night shifts for example, and every kind of
things. On board research is a round the clock business you know, as
shiptime is very expensive.

> > Went back through the Strait of Magellan in Patagonia, to Punta Arenas.
Such
> > impressive landscape... the end of the world.
>

> > Old Compaq Pentium3 133Mhz...
>
> A Pentium at 133 MHz? Or a Pentium 3 at 1333 MHz?

Ouch!! Been dreaming!! 1 GHz is what it is!

> Do you know of other PoVers how could like to join us?

Those who  feel interested will answer. However, As I said, it is very
ambitious and probably more of a multi-generational scope. Not sure if it is
viable project. If I remember well, Christoph Hormann did some awesome
renders using this data. Ah! But then we speak about a master :-)

Thomas