POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoVEarth Project : Re: PoVEarth Project Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoVEarth Project
From: Yadgar
Date: 15 Sep 2005 02:26:55
Message: <43293BDC.3010500@gmx.de>
High!

Christoph Hormann schrieb:

> Your posting here does not only describe something extremely ambitious,
> it also quite strongly indicates you did not truely realize how
> ambitious if meant seriously.  This is emphasized by the lot of
> inaccuracies that jump into the eye when reading the text like:
>
> - confusing of 'resolution' with 'accuracy'.
> - the SRTM did not produce any optical data so there is no necessity for
> color processing, the link you posted is to an image generated from
> landsat imagery.

No, the latter I did not assume - I'm quite aware that SRTM is only
altimetry data! Obviously you misunderstood me... the statement about
color processing was related to the Landsat sets!

> Those things might not seem important to you but when planning a project
> like this i think it would first of all be important to have an idea
> about the basic facts like what data sources actually exist.

Yes, I had not yet dived into the layer documentations of the Landsat
images... perhaps they give some hints on actual ground cover and, thus,
   an idea how the "basic pigment" of a certain landscape might look like...

> You should realize though that detailed large scale earth surface
> rendering (meaning high resolution data with less than 100m grid spacing
> over larger areas) is one of the toughest tasks concerning data
> handling.  Working with ascii data file formats and mesh files will not
> lead you anywhere.

Yes, I can imagine that... any bundle of ASCII-data which consists of
more than a few SRTM tiles would simply be too large to handle - unless
I content myself exclusively with low-altitude flights or even
"pedestrian views" where the horizon is not that far...

For a render like on

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Ccllr5b%24v86%241%40chho.imagico.de%3E/

> to be suited for high resolution printing (the one that is posted there
> was not yet sufficient in this respect) you have to process several GB
> of (binary) data for example.  (the bicubic interpolation patch
> mentioned in this posting is meanwhile available in MegaPOV BTW)

What is "bicubic interpolation"? Does it relate to image texture files
or to altimetry data?

> This is not meant to discourage anyone to do earth renders - on the
> contrary i have seen very nice examples of small scale renders like for
> example
>
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/<421a4678%40news.povray.org>/

Cute... but the things Thomas and I would like to go for would be far
more realistic...

> and it would be great to see more of such. People working on such
> concrete earth rendering project can be sure to get suggestions and tips
> from me if i have them.

What do you think about the whole (yet still embryonic, I admit) concect
  of PoVEarth?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar