POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoVEarth Project : Re: PoVEarth Project Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:30:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoVEarth Project
From: Yadgar
Date: 14 Sep 2005 07:19:01
Message: <43282EC6.1060708@gmx.de>
High!

> No, I have not experimented with those.

You really should... their resolution is 5 times higher than that of
GTOPO30! As they are only in GeoTIFF available, you'll need a conversion
software such as 3DEM ( http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html )
to transform them into ASCII matrizes, which can be read in from PoV-Ray!

> Yes, in 1985, I went on a scientific cruise on board 'Polarstern'

Did you research back then? Or did the 'Polarstern' occasionally pick up
  (well-paying) tourists when going to Antarctica?

> Went back through the Strait of Magellan in Patagonia, to Punta Arenas. Such
> impressive landscape... the end of the world.

Must be awesome - evergreen subantarctic rainforest side by side with
glaciers ending at sea level...

> Old Compaq Pentium3 133Mhz...

A Pentium at 133 MHz? Or a Pentium 3 at 1333 MHz?

>>Welcome aboard! Let's beat the drum together for fellow combatants!
>
> Right!

Do you know of other PoVers how could like to join us? There are some
people on the PoV scene who already digged quite into Earth
visualization, such as Christoph Hormann... but I remember him being not
very willing to share his experience :-((

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar