POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoVEarth Project : Re: PoVEarth Project Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoVEarth Project
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Sep 2005 04:14:07
Message: <4327dbcf@news.povray.org>

news:43270edb$1@news.povray.org...
> Thomas de Groot wrote:

> > I like the idea very much as I have played also somewhat with the
GTOPO30,
> > and the NASA DEM data.
>
> Do you mean by the latter the SRTM 3-arcsecond GeoTIFFs? If you had not
> heard about them until now, the URL is
> ftp://ftp.glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/glcf/SRTM/Degree_Tiles !

No, I have not experimented with those. I looked up my data (1998-1999 I
guess): I ordered  a couple of data CD's from the USGS, and they are
GTOPO30s. Not sure now about thos NASA DEMs I mentioned...

> Entire Spain, Andorra and Portugal? A formidable task, comparable in
> size to my dreams of virtual Afghanistan!

Hm yes... It was for the geological structural features of the peninsula as
an overview, and to see how much you could zoom in to them. Also the coastal
area of Portugal/Galicia was part of my more detailed interests, but there
the resolution was too bad.

> (oh! maybe Deception Island too, which I visited, 20 years ago...).
>
> Cool, you went skinny-dipping in Antarctica! Have you also been to South
> Georgia on that cruise? That's one of my favourite places outside
> Afghanistan...
Yes, in 1985, I went on a scientific cruise on board 'Polarstern' to the
Bransfield Strait and went down as far south as Anvers Island approximately.
Only time on land was Deception Island though. Was impressive. Not been to
South Georgia.
Went back through the Strait of Magellan in Patagonia, to Punta Arenas. Such
impressive landscape... the end of the world.

> What machine do you own at the moment? Mine is an AMD Athlon 64 2800+,
> running at 1.8 GHz, 512 megs of RAM... probably I'll upgrade to 1 gig
> somewhen in the coming months!

Old Compaq Pentium3 133Mhz...
I am thinking about an Athlon 64 machine indeed.

> Welcome aboard! Let's beat the drum together for fellow combatants!

Right!

Thomas