POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoVEarth Project : Re: PoVEarth Project Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:31:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoVEarth Project
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 13 Sep 2005 13:39:39
Message: <43270edb$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:

> I like the idea very much as I have played also somewhat with the GTOPO30,
> and the NASA DEM data.

Do you mean by the latter the SRTM 3-arcsecond GeoTIFFs? If you had not
heard about them until now, the URL is
ftp://ftp.glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/glcf/SRTM/Degree_Tiles !

My personal interest is the Iberian Peninsula by the
> way

Entire Spain, Andorra and Portugal? A formidable task, comparable in
size to my dreams of virtual Afghanistan!

(oh! maybe Deception Island too, which I visited, 20 years ago...).

Cool, you went skinny-dipping in Antarctica! Have you also been to South
Georgia on that cruise? That's one of my favourite places outside
Afghanistan...

> It is a project with ambition. I think that I would need another PC anyway
> for better data crunching (something I am thinking about seriously)...

What machine do you own at the moment? Mine is an AMD Athlon 64 2800+,
running at 1.8 GHz, 512 megs of RAM... probably I'll upgrade to 1 gig
somewhen in the coming months!

and a
> lot of theoretical help too.

Yes, math is an issue... I wrote a PoV template for generating curved
meshes (i. e. meshes that follow Earth surface's curvature) from ASCII
height matrizes derived from the SRTM GeoTIFFs (the latter done with
3DEM), but I'm currently totally unaware how to write an algorithm for
optimizing the number of height samples to be taken into account for
mesh calculation depending on the camera viewpoint...

Then we also should have a program that allows filling in the data gaps
in the original SRTM data - 3DEM has such a routine, but it does not
work with gaps bordering the edges of a one-degree tile!

Also, we should make use of a multi-bezier patch utility written some
time ago by Tor Olav Kristensen to get a real smooth surface (which at a
later stage can be "roughened up" in a controlled way to get rocky
mountainsides etc.)

  I am really a lay person in this matter. Time
> would not be a problem, though.
> I am tempted to contribute...

Welcome aboard! Let's beat the drum together for fellow combatants!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar