POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Open Leveller : Re: Open Leveller Server Time
4 May 2024 22:05:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open Leveller
From: Ray Gardener
Date: 12 Sep 2005 00:24:50
Message: <43250312$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Does it make sense to buy something which will probably be free in the
> future? How many people would actually do that?

There's definitely no way to please all the people all of the time; I
don't have any illusions about that. A lot of people will certainly just
wait it out and hope the "other shoe drops."

At the very least, this is a good opportunity to find out what the
public feels. And projects like Blender give me hope. I think overall
more people need to try this style of funding; it costs the public very
little in per-person terms but can provide so much more needed financing
for software development (which is still an expensive undertaking). Part
of my job is to help make people aware of where the value is, to not
just state the message but to sell it properly, so yes, I definitely
have some work ahead of me here.

To answer the question from another angle: eventually all software will
be so commoditized as to be free -- the question is, how long do we want
to wait? I think the person who can wait a year for OpenLev can actually
wait indefinitely -- to them it's a "nice to have" but not essential. So
I can't appeal to those people anyway. My audience is people who have
real genuine needs today or in the next nine months who would like to
move forward but haven't been able to budget $100 or more for it. If
they have $20 or $30, they now have input. I think this is the beauty of
a fundraising approach, that people who otherwise couldn't vote with
their dollars now can, by really lowering the barrier to entry. I think
PayPal even does micropayments (or will soon) but I haven't read up on
that yet.

Ray