POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Neon Tubes (Anyone can tell me how to make them emit light) : Re: Neon Tubes (Anyone can tell me how to make them emit light) Server Time
18 May 2024 18:36:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Neon Tubes (Anyone can tell me how to make them emit light)
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 8 Sep 2005 09:56:48
Message: <43204320$1@news.povray.org>
NumbC wrote:

> Anyone got a solution for good realistic neon lights? I am currently trying

I'm with everyone else:

radiosity+emitting media.

It seems your neons are torroidial, so use a torus function, something like:

#declare neon_light =
torus
{
     2, 0.1

         pigment { color rgbt 1 }
         finish { ambient 4.0 diffuse 0 reflection 0.5}
             hollow
         interior
         {
             media { emission rgb <1, 0.01, 0.001> *15

                 density
                 {
                    function { f_torus(x,y,z,2,0.05)}
                 }
             }
         }

}

The radiosity block I used:

     radiosity
     {
        pretrace_start 0.08
        pretrace_end 0.01
        low_error_factor .8
        count 100
        nearest_count 20
        recursion_limit 4
        error_bound 1
        brightness 1
        media on
     }

I'll attached a file of what this will look like. Please excuse me if
the object looks similar. I liked it and wanted to make it look the same
(but makes a darn good demo-scene) :)

Adjust the colors in any way you wish. I chose a more typical red for
the neon.

--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!