POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Neon Tubes (Anyone can tell me how to make them emit light) : Re: Neon Tubes (Anyone can tell me how to make them emit light) Server Time
25 May 2024 17:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Neon Tubes (Anyone can tell me how to make them emit light)
From: Alain
Date: 7 Sep 2005 19:02:34
Message: <431f718a$1@news.povray.org>
NumbC nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-09-07 12:19:
> I am currently working on an image where I want some tubes to shine and glow
> like neon light. I have added an image to show you the blue tubes I want to
> be used as neon lights.
>
> Anyone got a solution for good realistic neon lights? I am currently trying
> to accomplish it using multiple lights in the tubes, but that increases the
> rendertime bigtime too. Anyone got a better and maybe faster way to do
> this?
>
> Kind regards,
> NumbC

I'd use radiosity with a count over 300 for test, probably 1000 or more for final
render. It's
obvioues that render time will be long. You need high count, because the tubes are
narrow and a low
count will miss them to often leading to dark patches where it should be bright.
As the tubes are transparent, using emiting media should be considered, but this will
also increase
rendering time.
You may want to remove or reduce the light inside that globe, it will make the light
enited by the
tubes more visible.
Set default finish to ambient 0 with #default{finish{ambient 0}}.

Alain