POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 35.43in x 59.05in image size : Re: 35.43in x 59.05in image size Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 35.43in x 59.05in image size
From: Sebastian H
Date: 26 Aug 2005 14:31:58
Message: <430f601e@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Sebastian H. <van### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>
>>A Photo of 6000 by 3000 pixel for example has a size of
>>7,7 MB.
>

>   It's not reasonable to say that a photo of a certain resolution takes
> x mebabytes of space as a png because the compression ratio depends a
> lot on the actual contents of the image. Some content compresses much
> better than others.

You're right.
But it gives an idea about the file dimensions (kB?,MB?,GB?!).
A Photo in general contains patterns that dont't
compress well lossless. I guess a simple CGI-graphic
like the RSOCP would compressed be smaller because of
single color fields and that.
I should have been more clear on this.

But that's not the point here.
I got the impression some answers in this group are sometime a
bit too sophistivated to help new user with a concrete problem
[e.g. Uneven scaling thread].
That may be just me! Therefore I for myself try to give
simple answers although they may be not completely correct
in a mathematical provable way (I couldn't do this anyway).
This is my policy "as beeing just a PoV amateur"
and I don't want to start a flame war on that!

Regards,
Sebastian