POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Specifying ppi : Re: Specifying ppi Server Time
2 Jun 2024 02:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specifying ppi
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 26 Aug 2005 03:34:15
Message: <430ec5f7@news.povray.org>
Markk wrote:
> I am a very new user to POVRAY.
>
> I have rendered and saved my image as an uncompressed Targa file. The image
> looks great, but it is only 72 ppi. Is there a way to set the ppi during
> rendering in POVRAY?

Okay, this has already been answered quite thoroughly, particularly in
Thorsten's reply, but I'm going to add my own two cents anyway, and
maybe give it a little different slant.

Essentially, the ppi value (or more commonly called dpi--same thing...)
is fairly irrelevant.  It is nothing more than a data value in the file
header and is completely independent from the actual image data itself.
  (That is, in the graphic formats that support it, which, according to
Christoph, Targa does not.)  And it has been pointed out, this value can
be changed with a graphics editor.  But I want to emphasize, this
changes that one data value and does nothing to the actual image.

Now, when an image is displayed on a computer screen, this ppi/dpi value
is totally ignored because the screen has a fixed pixel size.  The 72
ppi value is usually used as a "generic" average value for computer
screens.  Obviously, in reality it varies, nevertheless this value is
used as an average.  And this is why 72 dpi is often used by graphics
software as a default value.

However, things change a bit when we come to print the image.  Now the
ppi/dpi value _can_ be used -- it might or it might not, depending on
the printing software and the printer's capabilities.  If it _is_ used
the print will be this specified "natural" size.  But even here, the
printing software will usually have a "print preview" or other means of
adjusting the size (and position) of the printed image, which also makes
the stored ppi/dpi value unimportant.

Now, to your second question...

 >                How do people generete publication quality images with
 > POVRAY???

That's due to the _size_ of the image (in pixel dimensions).  More
pixels--higher quality, fewer pixels--lower quality.  It's that simple.

The upshot of all this is -- forget about the ppi value.  For most
practical purposes this value is totally irrelevant.

      -=- Larry -=-