POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Warping a complex object : Re: Warping a complex object Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:33:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warping a complex object
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 25 Aug 2005 17:24:17
Message: <430e3701$1@news.povray.org>
Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> Maybe a job for MegaPOV's Mechanics Simulator?  I have almost no Idea
> how you'd do it, but It's at least worth looking into.
>
> Sorry I couldn't help more.
>
> A.D.B.

Thanx for the suggestion.  After a few days digging through the pov-ray
help file I've come to the conclusion that what I want to do is probably
not possible with povray, at least not with my current poving abilities...

However, I think I may have found a way around my problem.  I tried
mapping a picture of the earth onto my cell, and when I used the blob
technique to get me effect, the result looked quite good.  After a bit
of thought I've come to the conclusion that the reason why image mapping
didn't work the first time was due to the fact that I was using an image
of one side of the cell, rather then a "wrap-around", and this is why
things got so distorted.

So now all I need to do is find a way to "unwrap" my cell, such that I
have an image which goes all the way around the cell.  If anyone has any
good ideas of how to do this please let me know ;-)

Bryan