POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Rolling (MPG1, 382kb) : Re: Rolling (MPG1, 382kb) Server Time
5 Jul 2024 12:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rolling (MPG1, 382kb)
From: Rune
Date: 5 Aug 2005 17:50:16
Message: <42f3df18$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Tim!

That's some nice rollin'.

I think the AI-POV-Game you're referring to is the PushBall game I made in
2000 (http://runevision.com/3d/anims/#34). I can't remember the technical
details, but I think I did the rolling by storing two vectors representing
two local axis for the rolling ball (like the x and y axis) and whenever the
ball moved in a direction d, I'd rotate the two vectors around an axis
perpendicular to d and parallel to the ground. I'd calculate the third local
axis from the first two, and apply the three to the ball in the form of a
matrix transform.

If you've done it some different way, I'd be curious to hear how. :)

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com