POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : still struggling with arcs : Re: still struggling with arcs Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:31:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: still struggling with arcs
From: Alain
Date: 3 Aug 2005 21:44:59
Message: <42f1731b$1@news.povray.org>
Chrisir nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-08-02 05:48:

> Hello!
>
> I am still struggling with my arcs I wanted to have like an up-side-down U
> (see posting some weeks back).
>
> I started with a spline, placing spheres on it, but this is far to slow to
> render since I have *a lot* of those arcs. Is there any quick arc? Maybe
> originated from a torus or some other trick?
>
> I like them in a right-angle above my plane,
> give the start-point P1 and end-point P2 and a certain height h.
>
> A macro with three parameters P1,P2,h would be cool!
>
> Thanks!

If the "legs" are straight and the bend a contant radius, then you can use an union of
a half torus
and two cylinders. Those cylinders don't need to have the same lenght.
If the curve is not constant, then you should take a look at sphere_sweep using a
cubic_spline to
keep controll over the end points (points 2 and second to last, first and last are
control points)

Alain