POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : normal indices in mesh2 : Re: normal indices in mesh2 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normal indices in mesh2
From: Slime
Date: 3 Aug 2005 14:48:54
Message: <42f11196$1@news.povray.org>
>  but
> if i have more normals, how do i tell povray which normals go with which
> vertex? or does the normal_indice only work if you have less normals than
> vertexs?

The reason for having more normals than vertices is so that adjacent faces
can use different normals on the same vertices, creating sharp transitions
between them (like at sharp edges of an object).

If you're generating the mesh yourself, and you have more normals than
vertices and you don't know how to use them, then it sounds like you don't
understand what you made the extra normals for (which would be weird since
you wrote the code yourself).

If your mesh is coming from an external program, I would have expected the
normal indices to be set up automatically.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]