POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Optical Fibers : Re: Optical Fibers Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optical Fibers
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 2 Aug 2005 23:04:11
Message: <42f0342b$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>

>>     So my question is:  Is there an eficient way to model Optical
>> fibers, so that they not only glow, but transmit the light along the
>> length as well.
>>     Naturally, I'll continue my own experimentations.  I would however
>> appreciate any thoughts people might have on the subject.
>

> The transmission of light is nothing that makes sense to simulate in
> POV-Ray since it has no effect on the image POV-Ray renders (light
> itself isn't visible).  Therefore using emitting media for the glow and
> placing a spotlight at the end is the way to go.
>
> Christoph

Something else I just thought of:

Light is radiation in the visible spectrum.

In the real world, you can't have radiation in the visible spectrum
without an object present to give off said radiation.

so when you look at a light bulb, it's not really the light you're
seeing, but the glowing filament, and the light bulb of course.

But this is fairly elementary stuff.

In the case of Optical Fibers, it's not really the light that's being
seen, but the reflection off the interior surface of the fiber.

I'll admit, Lonnie has a point about 'gluing' ambient spheres to the
edges of an object.  I hadn't thought of this, because I have absolutely
no idea how to use the trace macro. (I assume I'd need it.)

It's nice that this is the subject of so much discussion though.

Regards,

A.D.B.