POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Optical Fibers : Re: Optical Fibers Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optical Fibers
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 2 Aug 2005 16:01:55
Message: <42efd133$1@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:
> "Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
>
>>The transmission of light is nothing that makes sense to simulate in
>>POV-Ray since it has no effect on the image POV-Ray renders (light itself
>>isn't visible).  Therefore using emitting media for the glow and placing a
>>spotlight at the end is the way to go.
>

> I don't think I can debate you on that, especially since I'm not sure what
> you meant by "no effect on the image", but never say never. Not sure what
> all Anthony knows about fiber optics but I know only enough to describe it
> to people with no knowledge of it in the first place. ;)
>
> As I might have said elsewhere already, I was once able to get a simulated
> fiber optic cable made in POV and at least partially succeeded (maybe). It
> was done by using photons and reflection on the inside of an S-shaped
> sphere_sweep. I think it is total internal reflection effect, I believe,
> that is the operative factor IRL. Meaning, the boundary of the tube with the
> air is supposed to cause the light to stay within the tube walls because of
> a specific limiting angle whereby light only reflects instead of breaks
> through.
>
> My test scene wasn't very good for anything as I recall, and I was counting
> on faking it with reflection, not refraction. I'm not good enough with
> photons to be sure if it really works or not anyway. I guess there would be
> trouble due to how the photons are designed to map out into the scene, not
> very sure of anything about it though. Probably was never designed to bounce
> around inside of curving tubes.
>
> Sure hope you can manage to do something with your idea, Anthony. I just
> found the test scene I had done and rendered it as-is. Only got a bunch of
> red spots everywhere, mostly at the ground beyond the opposite end of the
> tube. Probably wouldn't help to see the scene yourself, it's basically just
> a narrow spotlight close to one end of that sphere_sweep (hollowed out with
> a smaller twin), which then has refraction and reflection including
> interior_texture.
>
> I just looked for info about TIR and fiber optics and there's mention of
> critical angles for the light entering the tube and the bends in the tube.
> Gets beyond me but this one web page allows for calculating the critical
> incidence angle for different ior, if you're interested.
>
> http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/totint.html
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

	I don't really know that much about them, only what a quick google
search could tell me.

	That being said, I did find out that the coating layer has a lower IOR
than the fiber core.  This is explained by that link you posted. When
passing through one medium strikes a medium with a lesser IOR, "the ray
is bent away from the normal." Thus, the angle of reflection will be
greater than the incident angle. (I can picture this.  That doesn't mean
that I completely understand it.)

	I do however see Christoph's point about max_trace_level.

	Thanks for the link.

Regards,

A.D.B.