POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Optical Fibers : Re: Optical Fibers Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optical Fibers
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 2 Aug 2005 05:10:14
Message: <42ef3876$1@news.povray.org>
news:dcn984$3f2$1@chho.imagico.de...
> The transmission of light is nothing that makes sense to simulate in
> POV-Ray since it has no effect on the image POV-Ray renders (light itself
> isn't visible).  Therefore using emitting media for the glow and placing a
> spotlight at the end is the way to go.

I don't think I can debate you on that, especially since I'm not sure what
you meant by "no effect on the image", but never say never. Not sure what
all Anthony knows about fiber optics but I know only enough to describe it
to people with no knowledge of it in the first place. ;)

As I might have said elsewhere already, I was once able to get a simulated
fiber optic cable made in POV and at least partially succeeded (maybe). It
was done by using photons and reflection on the inside of an S-shaped
sphere_sweep. I think it is total internal reflection effect, I believe,
that is the operative factor IRL. Meaning, the boundary of the tube with the
air is supposed to cause the light to stay within the tube walls because of
a specific limiting angle whereby light only reflects instead of breaks
through.

My test scene wasn't very good for anything as I recall, and I was counting
on faking it with reflection, not refraction. I'm not good enough with
photons to be sure if it really works or not anyway. I guess there would be
trouble due to how the photons are designed to map out into the scene, not
very sure of anything about it though. Probably was never designed to bounce
around inside of curving tubes.

Sure hope you can manage to do something with your idea, Anthony. I just
found the test scene I had done and rendered it as-is. Only got a bunch of
red spots everywhere, mostly at the ground beyond the opposite end of the
tube. Probably wouldn't help to see the scene yourself, it's basically just
a narrow spotlight close to one end of that sphere_sweep (hollowed out with
a smaller twin), which then has refraction and reflection including
interior_texture.

I just looked for info about TIR and fiber optics and there's mention of
critical angles for the light entering the tube and the bends in the tube.
Gets beyond me but this one web page allows for calculating the critical
incidence angle for different ior, if you're interested.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/totint.html

Bob