POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Optical Fibers : Optical Fibers Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Optical Fibers
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 2 Aug 2005 03:33:54
Message: <42ef21e2$1@news.povray.org>
I was inspired by a post of a few days ago.  The question had to do
with modeling simulating the glow effect of optical fibers, which Bob
Hughes suggested might be done with radiosity and media.

	My idea, however, goes a bit further.  Optical fibers do glow when
light is passed through them, but they still emit a strongly directional
light from the end. (The glow, incidently is the color of the light
being passed through the strand)
	As I understand it, this is because the fibers are coated with a
polymer that retains the ambient light with a minimum of loss, while
protecting the strand from damage due to handling.

	So my question is:  Is there an eficient way to model Optical fibers,
so that they not only glow, but transmit the light along the length as well.
	Naturally, I'll continue my own experimentations.  I would however
appreciate any thoughts people might have on the subject.

Regards,

A.D.B.