POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Another begineer: : Re: Another begineer: Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another begineer:
From: Alain
Date: 31 Jul 2005 14:12:28
Message: <42ed148c$1@news.povray.org>
Pat nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-07-31 03:21:
> Am new to POVRAY, but not to 3d; I draw signs which are internally lighted
> and want to try POVRAY for its output, to see what images look like.  Are
> there images on web, like what I do, so I can see them or perhaps study the
> scripts involved?
>
> The signs normally have plastic faces, or flexible style faces - like an
> awning - and I draw awnings too; and I've got programs to try that will
> interface to POVRAY, re script creation, but I wonder will I have any luck
> with materials that let light pass through (the text on a sign or awning
> face) and make a credible show of giving off light in the evening hours?
>
> If any of you have general tips on the matter, I'd like to hear about
> ways to approach the method.  (And I will continue reading POV's docs and
> tutorials, of course).
>
> I want to step up from my old trusty truSpace, which creates stuff that
> looks like "PC graphics," if you know what I mean.
>
> Thanks for ideas/opinions,
> Best, --pat (the new kid on the block)

If you see only the sign, out of context. I'd use a box with an image_map with some
transparent
parts. Behind that, you put a box with a pigment that matches the light's colour you
want and a
finish{ambient 1 diffuse 0} to make it "glow".
It may looks something like this:
union{
	difference{//the case
		box{<10,5,1>,<-10,-5,-1>}
		box{<9.9,4.9,0.9>,<-9.9,-4.9,-0.9}
		texture{image_map{png"image.png"}}
		}
	box{<9.9,4.9,0.8>,<-9.9,-4.9,0.88>texture{pigment{rgb 1}finish{ambient 1 diffuse 0}}}
//"light" source
	}

In a "normal" scene it won't shed any light on nearby elements, but it will in a
radiosity scene.

Alain