POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Another begineer: : Re: Another begineer: Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another begineer:
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 31 Jul 2005 07:00:38
Message: <42ecaf56@news.povray.org>
"Pat" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.42ec7befd63c4adb9e47bc2b0@news.povray.org...
> Am new to POVRAY, but not to 3d; I draw signs which are internally lighted
> and want to try POVRAY for its output, to see what images look like.  Are
> there images on web, like what I do, so I can see them or perhaps study
> the
> scripts involved?

Hiya Pat, welcome to the POV community.

Well, hmmm, can't think of any sample scenes included with POV that match
exactly what you're asking about.

> The signs normally have plastic faces, or flexible style faces - like an
> awning - and I draw awnings too; and I've got programs to try that will
> interface to POVRAY, re script creation, but I wonder will I have any luck
> with materials that let light pass through (the text on a sign or awning
> face) and make a credible show of giving off light in the evening hours?

You'll probably be using various amounts of filtered transparency, for one.
That's simple enough. Just use pigment colors with either rgbf
<0.1,0.2,0.3,0.4> or keyword filter 0.4. A light_source would be inside or
the backside of the sign object and shine through based on that filtered
amount. 0 = none, 1 = completely, and anything inbetween will vary the
transparency. The colors used will illuminate other objects in the path of
the light.

What you'll also need to read about is area_light, about its usefulness and
pitfalls (affects only shadows).

Since you might be mixing text with a surrounding object you'll no doubt
need separate pigments/filters for the parts, so if you understand about
putting together parts you should have an easy time applying different
textures to them.

Oh, I just thought of one thing anyway... take a look at the Insert menu,
Scene File Templates then Image Map (while a file is open in the editor). It
has filtering used on an image file. Well, okay, that's not much help unless
you use image maps, too. Maybe you'll do CSG (combining of shapes, like text
and box). Depends a lot on how you actually want to go about the
sign-making. Another possiblity is to use 'media' as a way to make the sign
glow.

Another thing before I go. You could also use radiosity and photons to get
the sign objects to illuminate their surroundings, perhaps more
realistically, but that gets tricky for a new user. Depends a lot on what
kind of environment exists around the sign. If you're idea is to show only
the sign itself, well, that'd be different, too. I'll leave you with that
thought, and hopefully not confused. I'm sleepy anyhow so that could cause
bad info.
; )
Bob Hughes