POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Area Light Close to a Surface looks like a Point Light : Re: Area Light Close to a Surface looks like a Point Light Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area Light Close to a Surface looks like a Point Light
From: Alain
Date: 30 Jul 2005 10:15:54
Message: <42eb8b9a$1@news.povray.org>
richardellison nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-07-29 13:05:
> An area light with size vectors 24*x and 24*z, when placed fairly close to a
> surface should brightly illuminate a roughly square area on the surface,
> should it not?  The diffuse illumination on nearby surfaces from an area
> light should be related to the size and shape of the area light, but this
> does not appear to be the case, and I believe that this has been listed in
> the POV-Ray FAQ section.
>
> Why is this important?  I frequently create interior architectural scenes
> where I want to show a fluorescent cove light.  I'd like to model the cove
> and put a long linear area light inside of it.  Because the diffuse
> illumination is the key here, the result, unfortunately, looks more like I
> put a point light inside of the cove.
>
> So, should I resort to an actual array of point light sources?

I had the same problem lately. My workaround was to use a few arealights lined up. It
gives you
smoother shadows and the tiffuse illumination blendings did a nice job of hiding the
point-like
diffuse areas. I used 3 area_light with intensities of 1/3 the original one.

Alain