POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Crash causes irritating I/O problem. : Re: Crash causes irritating I/O problem. Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash causes irritating I/O problem.
From: St
Date: 30 Jul 2005 01:39:24
Message: <42eb128c@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <omniverse@charter%net> wrote in message
news:42eb090e$1@news.povray.org...
> Gee, this must be one of the strangest things I've ever heard happen
> during POV-Ray running/rendering.
>
> Electronics getting that dusty inside the case, eh? :)

   Well, yes.  ;)

I actually cleaned the whole tower out last week though apart from taking my
graphics card out. I took it out tonight/this morning, dusted it off, and it
fired up ok, so thankfully, I know what to do now. :)

> I don't get the connection between the card and POV's I/O Restrictions
> thing. That's pretty weird, eh?

  Yeah, it's most irritating Bob! I can live with it though. It only happens
when I start a render, and then if PoV(3.5) stays open, it won't do it
again.

> Hopefully you won't be having more trouble.

   Fingers crossed. ;)

> I also don't understand how it effected the CD booting, etc. if Safe Mode
> was being used, since that should have used a simple VGA display (possibly
> from onboard video of the mainboard?).

Well, I couldn't even get to safe mode tonight. That's why I took the GC out
and dusted that off. Everything works fine now.

> Well, I just plain don't get it anyhow. I suppose you checked the file
> system for errors by running a chkdsk on the drive...?

     XP does this when rebooting from a problem anyway, and this time
(thankfully!) nothing showed. The first time, I had pages and pages of stuff
that showed up.

> I see you posted again before I got this reply sent, saying the I/O box
> still shows up. Maybe you should have a look at the
> POV-Ray\ini\pvengine.ini file and look for the following (mine is set to
> allow everything) to make sure POV is finding it there:
>
> [Scripting]
> ReadWriteSourceDir=1
> NoShellOuts=1
> IO Restrictions=0

    Thanks Bob. I think this might be the problem. I'm getting this error
when clicking on 'pvengine.ini':

     "Command line processing error:

    Only /Edit and /Render may be passed to the previous instance."

    Clicking on pvengine.ini opens PovRay, and then I get the above error.

    I'm thinking this is an 'association' thing?

    (Wow! Update: It must be. I've just clicked on unrelated *.ini files and
PoV wants to open them all!)

     Thanks for your help Bob, any ideas as to what to do now?

     ~Steve~