POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : is it possible to warp a primitive or a height-field? : Re: is it possible to warp a primitive or a height-field? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is it possible to warp a primitive or a height-field?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 25 Jul 2005 14:23:02
Message: <42e52e06@news.povray.org>
RAM wrote:
> Is it possible to warp or modify using noise or turbulence a primitive
> object in POV? I have seen scenes that use objects like a torus or a
> height-field that are greatly distorted to create fantastic objects that
> bear little resemblance to the original object. Or is this something that
> would have to be generated outside POV and then imported as triangles?

This is done using isosurface's

Primitive shapes can be expressed as functions.  Then can then be
combined with a noise function in various ways either to produce a
primitive with its surface displaced to give a textured look or to
actually "warp" the primitive.  Christoph Hormann produced an include
file that predefines functions to produce and combine isosurface
primitives.  It is call isocsg.inc.  Mr. Hormann also produced an
include file called isowood.inc which specializes in producing various
primitives displaced with vary convincing wood textures.  If you obtain
this file you can study how he conbines primitive and noise functions to
do things like bend a plank of wood to look like it has been warped by
the weather.  These files are available from his website