POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : PoserRay obj->inc->obj : Re: PoserRay obj->inc->obj Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoserRay obj->inc->obj
From: Jim Charter
Date: 22 Jul 2005 02:06:59
Message: <42e08d03$1@news.povray.org>
Joanne Simpson wrote:
>  Is there a program which allows simple visual editing of
>
>>an obj, without all the extra features?  I just want to change the shape
>>of an existing obj to make a morph target; no addition or deletion of
>>anything.
>>

> Wings3D
>
> Joanne
> http://www.onewhiteraven.com

Might need to be a little careful here though.  I think Wings' greatest
weakness is as a general mesh editor because it insists on storing
closed structures.  Other editors do not and therefore unclosed
structures are common to the point of being the norm.  On import, Wings
will try to close open structures if it can, that is it will try to
guess at how to join unassigned edges.  When possible it will assign
it's "hole" texture to span apparent openings.  This can, all in all,
make it  unpredictable as a general editor I have found, especially when
trying to take models from Poser.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
One thing it does not seem to handle well is .obj files with multiple
groups.  It seems to try to make each group a separate object usually
resulting in use of the "hole" texture everywhere.