POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Getting good glows over high-intensity areas : Re: area lights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area lights
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 20 Jul 2005 18:29:59
Message: <42ded067$1@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote in message
>>   4, 4 // number of sources for each axis (above). integers only
>
> So low! I generally use 17, 17 myself. Maybe I could go lower if I used
> jitter more often, but I still recommend using higher numbers than 4; the
> jittering with such a low number probably forces otherwise unnecessary
> anti-aliasing.

To be honest, I actually wrote 5,5 at first and replaced it with 4,4
thinking it might seem too slow. I subconsciously consider shorter render
times to be better than quality of the output. A habit formed during the
days of one-line-at-a-time renderings and hardly ever doing "final" images
left running for hours or days.

> Of course, with such high numbers it's very important to use adaptive (so
> that you don't actually shoot a full 17x17=289 shadow rays); adaptive 1
> has
> always worked best for me.

Makes sense. Proves you *can* teach an old dog new tricks. I've always
stayed away from the larger arrays just because I worried about longer
render times.

> Finally, I also recommend using a number which is one greater than a power
> of 2 (3, 5, 9, 17, 33) because these make the most sense with the adaptive
> process (See the second picture at
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/313/ , which demonstrates
> why
> this makes sense).

I went looking for the example files and read each lights\arealight*.pov, as
well as rendering them in a few different ways to check against my usual way
and what you said. Firstly, I hadn't realized those had 17 by 17 arrays.
Secondly, I'm amazed to find out that circular.pov has only 4 by 4 arrays
and the shadows are awful. But even more amazing is that after changing them
to 9 by 9 the render time only increased from 11.56 to 11.64 seconds! The
shadows look great, too; although, any higher than 5 by 5 array and the idea
behind the example of a circular arealight compared to non-circular gets
lost. ;-)

Apparently I'm going to need to change my mind about arealights and start
giving better advice about them in the future.

Thankyou for jostling my old POVing into new territory! If I can just train
myself not to drop back to 4X4's again I should be okay.

Bob