POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Getting good glows over high-intensity areas : Re: Getting good glows over high-intensity areas Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting good glows over high-intensity areas
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 20 Jul 2005 03:54:39
Message: <42de033f$1@news.povray.org>
"ZainAnak" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.42dd81fa9c9b6ebd3b6b98ba0@news.povray.org...
> I'm not too sure how to use the command line args
> correctly, as when I hit "go" it finishes in 0.4 sec and nothing is
> generated.  Anyway, a step-by-step would be much *very* appreciated.

Okay, happy to try.

I posted the script with it set to render the final image, so be sure you
change it to CreateImage=yes; first. I expected the comments to make sense,
probably wasn't a good idea to start it out in reverse with the hope it
would be changed right away.

Those lines with the //cmd: can be right-clicked and the popup menu will
show a selection for adding it to the command-line field of the toolbar so
you don't need to type it in. The first such line sets the output image
format to PNG uses a path and filename expected to be one of the POV-Ray
library paths. The folder "renderings" is one I use for all output; however,
yours could be anywhere else you usually output the renders to.
Just make sure it is also a library path or in the current scene file
folder, otherwise it won't be found later. Library_Path= can be added to
your povray.ini via the Tools menu, select 'Edit master POVRAY.INI', and
look at the end of that text file (folder must already exist!). Close and
Save the file. You will need to close and run POV again to reset things if
you choose to do this.

Okay, with that much out of the way you should be able to get a rendered
example scene if you left it in the script (didn't replace it with your own
yet). Of course, you could replace that scene (comment it out or delete the
lines) and either copy and paste your entire scene into it (probably not
wise for a large file) or collect it all into one or more #include files
then just add them that way.
Since includes are easier to manage I'll tell more about that.

#if (CreateImage=yes)

#include "yourscene.pov"

#end

is how it would look at its simplist. My example scene with the crackle
textured sphere has lights and camera within that if/end section but it
would need to be removed for your own to go there. For now you might want to
give it a look as is first to be sure it works right.

Next, after rendering that image, you will need to change the command-line.
So right-click the second //cmd: line in the header comments and select that
to replace the command-line field with it. Render that way and you should
see the resulting light-bleed image. Again, be sure you use a path (or none
to render to default location) and filename you want. As long as the first
time render has a matching file name that is under the " begin
light-bleeding part" you should be ok, the second render could be anything.

If this doesn't help completely yet just ask more about it.

Two other things I should mention is image resolution and the 2/3 index
values of the pigment_map. You're image size for the first rendering will
probably need to be larger than the second in order to prevent lowering the
quality. Also, I didn't set this up for anything more than a simple 4:3
ratio and the scale would need to be adjusted if another ratio is used.
Likewise, a camera with the proper aspect ratio will be needed. As it is now
there is no camera defined since it uses a default one at <0,0,0> with
default parameters.

Maybe you can at least get started on it knowing all this.

Bob Hughes