POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fat layer under skin... : Re: fat layer under skin... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fat layer under skin...
From: Jim Charter
Date: 17 Jul 2005 11:38:39
Message: <42da7b7f$1@news.povray.org>
brandon wrote:
> Not to be gross, but, whenever I get a deep flesh wound, the thin (well, for
> me) fat layer under my skin becomes visible. Has anyone tried adding this
> layer when using SSS to render skin? I would think it would make a big
> difference.

I think people realize all of what contributes to the complexities of
skin color,... fat, bone, blood vessels, pigmentation patterns, but we
have no method yet to directly simulate these as subsurface layers.  So
to date, the alternative of using uv'd pigment maps is still getting
better results.  SSS has been used to suggest the dramatic translucency
that is apparent under specific lighting situations.  Variations in
finish also contributes to the look of flesh.