POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Adaptive trees (AMR) in POV ray : Adaptive trees (AMR) in POV ray Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:01:23 EDT (-0400)
  Adaptive trees (AMR) in POV ray
From: Tom Fogal
Date: 15 Jul 2005 21:09:42
Message: <42d85e56$1@news.povray.org>
Hi all, maybe this belongs as a followup to Daniel Neilson's KD-tree
thread, but its not /really/ related. I didn't get the feeling that his
approach was adaptive, but maybe I'm wrong.

I was curious if POV ray itself or anyone out there was working on an
AMR based representation of the objects in a scene. For those not
familiar with the buzzword, its basically the same old subdivision
methods except now the tree can adapt in time. For example, a ball in
the upper left quadrant might be flying towards the upper right in an
animation. At the beginning of the animation, the top left quadrant
would have lots of resolution -- that quadrant would be defined by 4
subquadrants, and one of them (the one that contains the ball) might
have 4 of its own divisions. As the ball moved to the right, the
subquandrants would be swallowed up into their parents, and new
subdivisions would be created closer to the ball. This is of course
with a quadtree, for the 2D case; a three dimensional implementation
would use an octree (but those are harder to talk about :).

I've been searching for an example of some AMR (oops, never defined the
acronym: 'adaptive mesh refinement') code, something closer to an
implementation than the information I'm finding in research papers.

Thanks for any help / pointers!

-tom