POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange bug : Strange bug Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:30:11 EDT (-0400)
  Strange bug
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 14 Jul 2005 16:10:52
Message: <42d6c6cc@news.povray.org>
I was working in a scene and I got the following message when I tried to
render:

The POV-Ray core rendering code threw an unhandled exception.
The backend thread has been shut down and you will not be able to perform
any further renders.
It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you save your work and exit POV-Ray now.
Note that if internal structures have been damaged POV-Ray may crash
immediately after you click OK).

Then I noticed that I had mispelled a variable name. I corrected it,
restarted POV-Ray, and the scene rendered normally.

But I expect to get parse errors instead of crashes :)

It took me like half an hour to work out the cause in my 430 lines code and
get the scene minimal!

//begin crash scene
#include "transforms.inc"
#declare Obj=sphere
{
    0,1
    Shear_Trans(x,-z,y)
}
#if(UndeclaredId)
    #declare DoSomething=123;
#end
//end crash scene

If I comment out Shear_Trans I get the expected behaviour:
Parse Error: Expected 'numeric expression', undeclared identifier
'UndeclaredId' found instead

In summary, it seems like undeclared identifiers hang povray if there is a
Shear_Trans before :S (maybe just any matrix transform, I didn't try)

I'd like to see if you get the same crash so that I can report the bug.
Remember to include your system specs in the message.

POV-Ray 3.6.1a.icl8.win32
Windows XP Professional (SP2)
Pentium IV 3 GHz
512MB Ram