POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tools : Re: Tools Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tools
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 14 Jul 2005 01:52:18
Message: <42d5fd91@news.povray.org>
Bryan Valencia spake:

> If I were to model a number of buildings for a downtown city street scene,
> my first inclination would be to use TrueSpace and convert with PoseRay.
> I'll need a combination of detail levels for near, mid, and far buildings.
>
> What would you all use?
>
> CSG?
> Wings?
> Visual Basic?
> ???

Ever heard of Blender? Looks weird at the start, but when you start working
with it it's a joy. I use it to model objects that I can't easily define in
SDL. It is -very- good (IMO) for creating triangle patches and importing
them via .OBJ export through 3DWin to Povray. Its a full-on renderer as
well should you want to preview a design and get a general feel for what it
will look like if rendered. Plus it can do animation, particle effects...
sure, they are not Povray, but there are export scripts to Povray (though
not for these effects).

I'd give it a try, if only for its modelling facilities. GPL'ed if I am not
mistaken - blender3d.org.

Regards,
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer