POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : OpenGL porting or support? : Re: OpenGL porting or support? Server Time
29 Jun 2024 11:30:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL porting or support?
From: Warp
Date: 12 Jul 2005 14:16:10
Message: <42d408ea@news.povray.org>
David Wallace <dar### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> What I'm really after is Hardware-Accelerated Mesh Geometry: the capacity to
> take advantage of the specialized commands in GPUs (shaders) and/or CPUs (3DNow,
> SSEn, etc.) that have been developed to accelerate rendering of such objects,
> especially in games.  Textures are a separate operation.

  What do you mean textures are a separate operation?

  What you see from a mesh is precisely its texture (which has been
lightened/darkened according to lighting calculations). The mesh has
to have *some* texture in order to be seen.
  It's not like POV-Ray could somehow render the mesh with OpenGL and
afterwards apply the procedural texture to it.

--

                                                          - Warp