POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : OpenGL porting or support? : Re: OpenGL porting or support? Server Time
29 Jun 2024 11:44:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL porting or support?
From: David Wallace
Date: 12 Jul 2005 10:41:23
Message: <42d3d693@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> David Wallace <dar### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>
>>If I were to create a mesh (or mesh2) object within SDL, can this patch render
>>it using hardware acceleration and save the CPU for other parts of the scene?
>
>   How exactly do you assume that the GPU will be able to render the
> procedural textures applied to the mesh?
>   What happens if this texture and reflection and/or refraction? What
> happens if there's media inside the mesh?
>   What happens if there's a primitive in front of the mesh, partially
> obscuring it? How will the GPU be able to tell which parts to render
> and which don't?
>   How will the GPU handle antialiasing, especially at the borders of the
> mesh, where it should be antaliased against whatever is behind (ie the
> rest of the scenery)?
>   How will the GPU handle special lighting, such as area lights?
>

>>Or will it have to wait for 3.7's multithreading and pass the threads for mesh
>>handling to the GPU?
>

>   There are no "threads for mesh handling" in POV-Ray 3.7. Each thread
> renders one square of the image (when it's done, it starts rendering the
> next free square).

What I'm really after is Hardware-Accelerated Mesh Geometry: the capacity to
take advantage of the specialized commands in GPUs (shaders) and/or CPUs (3DNow,
SSEn, etc.) that have been developed to accelerate rendering of such objects,
especially in games.  Textures are a separate operation.

Can such operations be integrated into raytracing, at least at the object
geometry level?

David Wallace
TenArbor Consulting
"Just In Time Cash"