POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : OpenGL porting or support? : Re: OpenGL porting or support? Server Time
29 Jun 2024 11:06:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL porting or support?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 11 Jul 2005 12:42:54
Message: <42d2a18e$1@news.povray.org>
David Wallace wrote:

> If I were to create a mesh (or mesh2) object within SDL, can this patch
> render it using hardware acceleration and save the CPU for other parts
> of the scene? Or will it have to wait for 3.7's multithreading and pass
> the threads for mesh handling to the GPU?

Repeat after me:

Povray is apples GPU is oranges. Under no circumstance can you squeeze
an orange and expect apple juice. (Raytracing is a completely different
beast from scanline renderers. GL would be fine for previews, but not
the final render. You would have to define shaders and textures to work
with the scanline renderer built inside your GPU. At best, this could do
a pretty decent job of faking what POV-Ray does, but will not under any
circumstances be able to render portions of a POV-Ray engine. If you
want to use scanline techniques, I'd suggest looking for scanline
renderers.
--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!