POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : OpenGL porting or support? : Re: OpenGL porting or support? Server Time
29 Jun 2024 11:08:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL porting or support?
From: Warp
Date: 11 Jul 2005 09:34:45
Message: <42d27575@news.povray.org>
David Wallace <dar### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> If I were to create a mesh (or mesh2) object within SDL, can this patch render
> it using hardware acceleration and save the CPU for other parts of the scene?
  How exactly do you assume that the GPU will be able to render the
procedural textures applied to the mesh?
  What happens if this texture and reflection and/or refraction? What
happens if there's media inside the mesh?
  What happens if there's a primitive in front of the mesh, partially
obscuring it? How will the GPU be able to tell which parts to render
and which don't?
  How will the GPU handle antialiasing, especially at the borders of the
mesh, where it should be antaliased against whatever is behind (ie the
rest of the scenery)?
  How will the GPU handle special lighting, such as area lights?

> Or will it have to wait for 3.7's multithreading and pass the threads for mesh
> handling to the GPU?

  There are no "threads for mesh handling" in POV-Ray 3.7. Each thread
renders one square of the image (when it's done, it starts rendering the
next free square).

--

                                                          - Warp