POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray on PlayStation 3? : Re: POV-Ray on PlayStation 3? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray on PlayStation 3?
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jul 2005 11:15:01
Message: <42cd46f5$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> Doesn't the application have to be somehow aware that it is working in a
 > cell environment, similar to SMP?

 From everything I've read, the "cell environment" is a SIMD
environment. (That's "Single Instruction Multiple Data", which is the
kind of thing the MMX extensions do, only on a large scale.)  I don't
imagine it'll be any time soon before a language like C or C++ (or
Fortran or Ada or ...) will be able to easily take advantage of this
without special programming. Something like SQL or APL or Prolog or
something where you don't really have a high-resolution "program
counter" concept built into the language would work better; that is,
something where each instruction in the language could take several
compute seconds could be rearranged more easily by the compiler to take
advantage of parallelism.  I imagine bits of POV-Ray could be
special-cased to take advantage of the Cell stuff, like matrix
multiplies or something, but I don't think you'll get any sort of large
speed-up just by recompiling the same C code that runs efficiently on a
SISD machine.  Just my opinion.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     The samba was clearly inspired