POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Location, Location, Location : Re: Location, Location, Location Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Location, Location, Location
From: Jim Charter
Date: 3 Jul 2005 09:50:17
Message: <42c7ed19$1@news.povray.org>
waynehays1 wrote:
> I think this is part of what is going on, but it just doesn't tell me what I
> need to know.  I am sure it is here, but I just don't understand.  Thanks
> for being patient with a noob.
>
> camera {
>   orthographic
>   location <SCALE_FACTOR/2,SCALE_FACTOR,SCALE_FACTOR/2>
>   up SCALE_FACTOR*z
>   right SCALE_FACTOR*x
>   direction -y
> }
>
> What does this do? -and- what plane is my view in?

Okay, I thought you were talking about light sources.
The meaning of vectors in camera definitions can be a little more
varied.

However the code you show locates the camera in the positive quadrant
looking straight down at the x-z plane in its positive quadrant.  It is
apparently designed to view the center of a unit box, lets say, in the
positive quadrant, and adjust to any scaling of the box
ie.

#local SCALE_FACTOR = 2;

#if ( on )
         camera {
                 orthographic
                 location <SCALE_FACTOR/2, SCALE_FACTOR, SCALE_FACTOR/2>
                 up SCALE_FACTOR*z
                 right SCALE_FACTOR*x
                 direction  -y
         }