POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Black ends of cylindrical lights : Re: Black ends of cylindrical lights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black ends of cylindrical lights
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 25 Jun 2005 09:54:06
Message: <42bd61fe@news.povray.org>
"Ard" <ard### [at] waikatoacnz> wrote in message
>> That is such a strange behaviour -- and a scene-breaker.  I've never used
> [...]
>> Is it known if this issue is tested for in the Pov-Ray 3.7 beta?
> [...]
>> What I should have said:  In that scene, the green box is "burnt right
>> through" by the cylindrical light behind it when the "interior {media}"
>> line
>> is used, but is correct with media commented out.
>
> In the more complicated scene that first displayed this behaviour, one
> object *was* mapped on top of the black disc.  It was about 0.1u behind
> the
> aperture, in a light_group lit by a source about 0.05u away - the
> extremely-brightly lit insides of the real-world spotlight behind the
> origin of the POV cylindrical light.  So some things do show through.  Not
> that that makes any difference, but it's another observation to throw on
> the pile.
>
> Anyway, how can I bring this to the attention of the developers (my
> apologies for not recognising you, if you are one) and make sure it is
> tracked?

Thanks, but I'm only another ordinary user.

All the same, I was curious about the question of will this be fixed in 3.7,
so today I checked in povray.beta-test and on www.povray.org/beta and in the
release and change notes.  There was quite a bit of work going on in media
code in April, with many change entries particularly by Thorsten and some by
Nathan and Chris.  No explicit description of this cylinder lights in media
problem, but a possible candidate among others is a comment by Thorsten in
change 3587: "Some cutting on light tests in media".

So I downloaded the Win32 3.7 beta6 version to check it, and I'm happy to
report the problem has been fixed in 3.7.

Out of interest, I tried this scene out in PovRay 3.5, and it gave the black
circles like 3.6.1 and 3.6.1a do.  So the bug has been around a while.  Of
course, don't expect to see a final release of 3.7 for some months, it's
still in beta with some features disabled, and once Beta finally passes,
there's still the series of Release Candidates to get through!

But ONE DAY we can have cylinder spots in our virtual discos!

 :-)

Cheers,
  Brian