POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.6 available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.6 available. Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.6 available.
From: Chris Cason
Date: 15 Jun 2005 05:53:20
Message: <42affa90@news.povray.org>
Raf256 wrote:
> Btw - just asking for curiosity - why beta is made for win32? It seems a bit
> harder (the GUI/IDE is included, isnt it?) and on Linux/UNIX there are
> probably more multiprocessor machines (for more professional use).

The issue is that there were some very significant changes to the way the
front-end and back-end code interacts and rather than try to work on that on
multiple platforms at once, it was decided it was best to get the wrinkles
out and settle it down on one platform first. Once all the other front-end
related things are sorted out (this includes animation, output redirection,
and continue render amongst a few others), and the changes to the front-end
code are documented for the other platform authors to refer to, you can
expect to see a unix beta.

Hopefully that won't be too far in the future but I can't promise when.

-- Chris