POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : sci-fi laser blasts : Re: sci-fi laser blasts Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sci-fi laser blasts
From: Ross
Date: 14 Jun 2005 10:29:10
Message: <42aee9b6$1@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <bob### [at] charternet> wrote in message

> Checking here with a test media object and radiosity I see you might need
> increase 'count' to 500 or more, especially if the laser isn't in close
> proximity to the other scene objects. Perhaps even increasing 'brightness'
> to more than 1. In fact, there might be other settings which could prove
> better but it looks to me like a light would be less likely to cause
trouble
> such as radiosity can if you attempt to maximize the interactions from it
> (texture tweaking, etc.).
>
> Bob Hughes

With radisotiy on, and media on in the radisotiy block, I tried a 28 frame
animation with the laser blast travelling quite close to a box. the overall
lighting of the scene does change as the object with emissive media travels,
but not in a real meaningful way. (then i spent two hours trying to get
mencoder to work properly...). It's a little hard to explain in detail, but
the increase in light doesn't obviously correspond to the movement of the
object. It's a little jumpy. There are two media statements, one uses
something like "emission <0, 1, 0>*4" and one uses something like "emission
<1, 1, 1>*8" and each have a simple cylindrical color map in their density
statements. For radiosity, I moved "count" up to 700 and generally changed
some of the values that the docs say lead to higher quality. I can't expect
much help without posting the scene, but I can't post it at the moment.

I think I'll just play with adding a lightsource that moves with the media
object. It feels like this will allow more flexibility and fine tuning.

Thanks!