POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Should beginners be encouraged to use external software? : Re: Should beginners be encouraged to use external software? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should beginners be encouraged to use external software?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 11 Jun 2005 11:10:16
Message: <42aafed8@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:

> 	I suppose there are two many parameters. But surely there should be
> some way to make sense of the standard patterns provided in the SDL
> other than just the description in the docs.

Yes I am haunted by the sense that the available patterns reflect a
collection of archetypes.  And that these archetypes derive from the
mathematical techniques used to generate them.  And that, therefore,
they possess distinguishing structural properties, that if understood,
would aid in an intelligent application of them.  Some, for instance,
seem to be a nested or fractal sort of thing, others more linearly
repeated.

If such internal structure cannot be made understandable, perhaps, one
wonders, a descriptive set of properties, relevent to texturing, might
be cataloged. For instance some subset of patterns are what I call
"omni-directional" meaning I can apply them to a surface of any shape
and they will seem to "wrap" to the surface.  Their scaling properties
might distinguish different patterns.

It might be that the best way to "map" this would be a kind of "best
practices" hybred of the top down, bottom up approaches.  Like, we can
group the patterns into these structural families, we can also group
them into families exhibiting these common properties, and use that as a
basis for a sort of guide. ie. "Do you want to do natural structures
such as clouds?  A pattern from this family is the best bet because it
has such and such a structure and it exhibits these useful properties."
  The hope would be not that you index how to make clouds, but rather
that you give a heuristic example of how to think about the patterns and
their possible application.