POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Should beginners be encouraged to use external software? : Re: Should beginners be encouraged to use external software? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should beginners be encouraged to use external software?
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 11 Jun 2005 03:09:59
Message: <42aa8e47$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> I am sure you don't need me to tell you this, but that is supposed to be
> the appeal of integrated solutions. That you can avoid those problems.
> When you use an eclectic, best of breed approach, involving a mix of
> programs, you do have to assemble a consistent workflow and maintain
> certain disciplines of nomenclature, file storage, and standards for
> passing deliverables.  Else you *will* go crazy.

	As I expected.

	Will write to you from the asylum, when I get there.<G>

>>     I use Linux, and that in itself is a constraint.
>
> I know a few Linux users here are using Wings.

	Yes - I know it's available on Linux. My point was that in terms of
free software, I think there's more related to POV-Ray on Windows than
on Linux (such as Moray).

>>     Is there any site where all the patterns are explained in detail
>> (i.e.
>> shown). I'm thinking of something along the lines of:
>>
>> http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/cr_metric.html
>

> I think someone actually tried to make an menu insert file like that.

	Well, the Windows version does have something - limited compared to
what I want, though. If anyone knows of any scripts I could just run on
my Linux box to do this, that would be great.

	Or else I guess I'll give it a shot.

> There really are too many parameters I think.  But there was an effort
> going on to explore some of this kind of atlasing of textures in the pov
> wiki.  That  effort takes the approach of an atlas of possibilities
> categorized under real world effects like metals, bark, leather, etc. It
> is a thorny problem, however one approaches it, because the basic issue
> is one of "-ishness"  There is no "bark" texture, there are just effects
> that can produce a "barkish" look in under certain situations.

	I can see the problem there. However, I did not intend to have an index
of textures whose aim is to look like something recognizable (as in the
bark example you provided). Just the shape of the texture. Let the
viewer figure out if it's useful for the bark/whatever.

	I suppose there are two many parameters. But surely there should be
some way to make sense of the standard patterns provided in the SDL
other than just the description in the docs.

--
"Carpe Dentiem ... Seize the teeth!"

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl