POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How are pixels colored off in POV? : Re: How are pixels colored off in POV? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How are pixels colored off in POV?
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 9 Jun 2005 21:04:40
Message: <42a8e728$1@news.povray.org>
"Meenal" <mee### [at] studentumassedu> wrote in message

> Say I create a box in POV. Then I rotate this box about the x-axis by 63
> degrees and the y axis by 72 degrees and then render the image. The
> coordinates of the box will no longer be integers. So how will the pixels
> in the rendered image be colored off? The box will project onto parts of
> some pixels. So if the box projects onto half or more of the pixel, it will
> be colored off, and if it projects onto less than half of a pixel it will
> not be colored off? Is that how it works?
>
> Meenal

I get the feeling that you don't really understand how raytracing works.
POV-Ray shoots a ray from the camera location for every pixel.  That ray will
hit zero or more objects, but since it's an infinitely thin ray, it can not ever
half-hit an object.
The problem is, as you say, that an arbitray object does not "project" exactly
onto integer pixels, so you will get artifacts called aliasing.  To minimize
those artifacts, you can ask POV-Ray to shoot more than 1 ray per pixel and the
average result of all those rays will be the color of the pixel.

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1