POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Performance characteristics wrt change in lighting : Re: Performance characteristics wrt change in lighting Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Performance characteristics wrt change in lighting
From: Slime
Date: 9 Jun 2005 16:39:04
Message: <42a8a8e8@news.povray.org>
> I haven't tried 'no_image', since this solves my rendering problem.  I
don't
> really want to make my objects invisible (!), so what do you expect from
> this option?

Both suggestions were just to see if they have any effect on the rendering
time. If no_shadow speeds things up, then obviously the shadows are causing
the slowdown.

The light source you're using is at a fairly shallow angle, so maybe that's
just causing more shadow ray - object checks to be necessary. However, the
speed difference you're talking about is much worse than I would expect from
that.

Does it help if you bring the light source closer by a factor of 100 or so
(<10, 20, 100>)? (If this effects other parts of your scene, you could try
using two separate light sources with light_group.)

I wouldn't suggest resorting to the no_shadow keyword as a solution until
the actual problem is more clear.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]