POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Macro expansion result (like C preprocessor output) : Re: Macro expansion result (like C preprocessor output) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macro expansion result (like C preprocessor output)
From: Warp
Date: 9 Jun 2005 14:04:29
Message: <42a884ad@news.povray.org>
Lars C. Hassing <pov### [at] hassingsdk> wrote:
> Do you know why ?

  Because it is not needed.
  POV-Ray doesn't have a preprocessor like a C compiler has. POV-Ray
directly reads and interprets the SDL code without doing any
preprocessing to it.

> Am I the first to ask ?

  I remember people asking if POV-Ray could just parse but not
render and return an error code (which could be used to check
the validity of the input), but I don't remember anyone asking
if POV-Ray could be used as a "preprocessor".

> Is it difficult to implement because of the way the parser works ?

  It would not be difficult at all to implement, but it would be
rather useless (at least for POV-Ray itself).

  I can think of only one useful use for this feature: To convert
SDL files to a simplified format which is easier to parse by
third-party programs.

--
                                                          - Warp