POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape) : Re: Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 6 Jun 2005 21:49:59
Message: <42a4fd47$1@news.povray.org>
"Mueen Nawaz" <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote in message
> Bob Hughes wrote:
>>>Not a beginner to POV-Ray (first experience in 1995).
>>
>> Gee, that's just one year less than me. Give or take several months,
>> maybe.
>> Been such a long time.
>
> Well, I'll confess. I started with raytracing in 1994 with Alexander
> Enzmann's Poly-Ray

Wow. Just like me, or I you. Maybe was late 1993, I just don't recall
anymore.

I didn't have a good computer until mid-'93 (DELL 486DX math coprocessor,
was Tandy 1000 before) so all I ever did was use e-paint, simple CAD
programs and basic (ala Basic) screen plotting. I roamed around AOL a while
and somehow picked up on Polyray there. Main thing I remember about it was
the "depth" output, for putting it into a random dot stereogram program.

I had learned a little about these concepts during the late '80's just from
watching some Public Broadcasting Station stuff and reading science
magazines, although I didn't really know anything about ray tracing itself.
Happened across POV-Ray while I was finding more things about it. That led
me to CompuServe because of the group of people involved in it there,
leaving AOL for about a year, but I couldn't move around in CS fast enough
even though I had upgraded the modem (2400 to 14400??). AOL was tried again
and it was much quicker to get places than I was able to do in CS. Until as
recently as last year I was still using AOL, even with Cable internet access
since 2000 (had only TV antenna, then small satellite dish those last two
years), although I had been in the process of leaving AOL quite a while.

Ooops. Turning this into a biography!

I gave the blob idea a try to check on it myself and if you have, too, then
you might be having trouble using cylinder components in the way I imagined.
I'm thinking using all spheres might still be plausible, but at this point
I'd be willing to change my suggestion to a height_field instead.  ;)

Bob Hughes